Pages

About Me

My photo
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
Well, I am me.

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Why Do We Come Here?

 I was adopted. I was probably removed from my mother's vicinity immediately after the cutting of the umbilical cord. I don't know if I ever saw her. Nor my father. My mother's name was Shirley Reuss. My alleged father was said to be Norwegian.

I have a memory of being with my adoptive mother and asking her, "How did I get here?"

Dr. Wally Devasier recommended a book to me, Thinking and Destiny, by Harold Waldwin Percival. Percival wrote that a child asks that question when about four years old, because his soul enters the body then. Something like that. The child knows that he came from somewhere else and doesn't know how he got into his body and life, with his associates such as parents or others where he is at that time.

My adoptive mother told me then, I think it was, that I had been adopted.

Plato is said to have written that we choose our parents before we are born. I have also heard or read that we make a contract, before birth, including such as when we will die.

3 comments:

Timothy R Tolzmann said...

I guess I didn't really address WHY we come here.

Timothy R Tolzmann said...

That book probably said that a part of the what I referred to as soul enters the body when about four years old. Not that the soul doesn't enter until then. I think that author maybe didn't even use that word.

Timothy R Tolzmann said...

But we are here to enjoy. "The whole purpose of life is to gain that highly exalted state of consciousness...."--Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. "God realization is said to be the purpose of one's life, one's existence." That is a paraphrase from Maharishi. My best recollection of the quote. What else could be the reason. Only as a human being on Earth can one gain enlightenment, liberation from the cycle of birth, death, rebirth. "Life is here to enjoy."--Maharishi. "Expansion of happiness is the purpose of creation."--Maharishi and the whole Vedic literature. We are not born to suffer. "No one has the right to suffer anymore."--Maharishi. Although in a democracy, one does have that right, but when anyone suffers, everyone suffers. Just as there is no victimless crime. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." Did John Donne write that? I don't remember the author of the poem from which it comes.