Pages

About Me

My photo
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
Well, I am me.

Friday, February 17, 2023

Hey, here is my thing.

I am available to re-cane chairs. The seven-step strand caning. The strands are individually woven by hand. That's what I still like to do.
I have been interested in building chairs with trees. The workbench that is traditionally used is called a shavehorse. There was a video on YouTube lasting over an hour of a worker in that type of woodworking building a shavehorse itself. It's not a sawhorse, but a shavehorse; because the wood is still soft enough to shave, as it were, using a drawknife, or sometimes a spokeshave. The tree is usually cut in the winter when the sap is down. I think this type of woodworking was done before the advent of industrialism. It has a lot of advantages over so called traditional or modern woodworking. Or conventional woodworking. I would like to build "easy" chairs (comfortable chairs for taking it easy in). Upholstered or caned or both. I suppose all-wood chairs could have cushions on them, or one on the seat with a caned back. I would like to have one myself that is wide enough to sit "Indian" fashion when that is comfortable. A foot stool or ottoman seems pretty important, too, to me.
Tim Tolzmann; 131 West 2nd Street, apt. #120; Duluth, Minnesota 55802 (218) 737-7884 timtolzmann@gmail.com

No comments: